Who can Enter?
The Crown Estate/ AJ Future Retail Destinaions Competition is open to all UK-based qualified architects. Entrants are asked to design the concept for an innovative and successful out of town shopping destination fit to operate from 2030 onwards.
1: Entry Form:
You may wish to include a brief text and an explanatory sketch/diagram/plan. Entries should consider some or all of the following factors:
- High quality public realm/opportunities for place-making
- The growing role of digital technology in retail and retail destinations
- Shoppers’ overall experience
- Environmental sustainability including transport and green infrastructure
- The health and wellbeing agenda plus a multi-generational approach
- A retail destination of at least 200,000sqft and a minimum of 10 units
2: A3 Upload:
Please note we will only accept digital entries limited to one A3 page, supplied in a complete PDF
Deadline for Entries:
The deadline for entries is Monday 9th April.
The competition is free to enter.
Stage 1: Shortlisting
Shortlisting will take place at the beginning of April 2018 and once the shortlisted practices have been decided you will be informed by 9th May.
Stage 2: Judging Day
presentations All shortlisted practices will be expected to present their ideas and designs to the panel on Tuesday 8 May in London. Following this, six practices will be shortlisted and proceed to Stage 2.
- Stage 2a : Site Visit : The six finalist teams will visit the proposed site on 16 May; the site will be one of The Crown Estate’s shopping locations. The AJ will arrange travel for the teams.
- Stage 2b : Charrette: The final stage of judging will be a charrette held on 21 June